Princeton and Duke University educated and Johns Hopkins trained, Dr. Rad is one of Washington's most highly skilled plastic surgeons in facial cosmetic surgery, a niche requiring exceptional technical ability, experience and artistic nuance to achieve natural and long-lasting results.
WHICH FACIAL COSMETIC PROCEDURES DOES DR. RAD PERFORM?
Dr. Rad's facial cosmetic procedures range from eyelid contouring to face, neck and brow lifts. Each patient has unique anatomy, healing ability, lifestyle and personal goals – therefore, cookie cutter approaches won’t do. Dr. Rad customizes each patient’s treatment plan uniquely, an approach that serves his patients well so that they may enjoy their results for a lifetime.
More surgery is not better. Therefore, Dr. Rad’s approach involves determining which cosmetic procedures offer the least invasive method to address a patient’s concerns. Dr. Rad is expert in the following procedures:
- Face Lift is effective in recreating natural facial architecture by restoring apples of the cheeks, defining the jawline, and lifting sagging neck tissues so that one looks rested, refreshed, healthy and vital as one did years ago without appearing 'overdone.'
- Neck Lift is ideal for patients who have excess fat beneath the chin and whose neck skin has started to loosen and form bands from aging, overactive platysma muscle or poor jaw support.
- Brow + Forehead Lift is effective to reverse a sad, fatigued or angry eye appearance, brighten the eyes and relieve vision obstruction by elevating the forehead skin and eyebrows; this is often done with Upper Blepharoplasty.
- Facial Fat Grafting restores permanent volume in the cheeks, temples, lips, jawline and eye sockets using fat borrowed from the waist.
- Rhinoplasty is effective in balancing facial proportions, particularly with Chin Augmentation. Patients most commonly see reduction of a Dorsal Hump or Narrowing of a wide nose.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING A CONSULTATION WITH DR. RAD?
Dr. Rad spends time with his patients, and you can expect to receive his undivided attention for at least an hour or longer. You'll find your visit with Dr. Rad to be unhurried and all your questions will be answered thoroughly with your safety at top of mind. Dr. Rad's philosophy is to focus on procedures and techniques that work. Therefore, Dr. Rad will not recommend "fad" or "sham" procedures that have been proven to be ineffective (for example, the "ThreadLift").
To ensure the highest level of privacy of our patients, there is no waiting room, and you are guided to your own private, sound-proofed cabana where you and Dr. Rad will consult. Dr. Rad will want to understand your aesthetic vision and lifestyle in order to assess the degree and combination of improvements you seek. Dr. Rad will highlight before/after photos of his patients (some of which are not displayed on this website for confidentiality reasons) to illustrate his surgical approaches.
Dr. Rad’s primary concerns are to achieve the best results safely. Therefore your consultation will focus on:
- understanding your goals to determining whether they are achievable through advanced surgical techniques
- determining which surgical approaches are best to optimize results while minimizing invasiveness, down time, discomfort and scar
- determining whether you are a good candidate for surgery (i.e. if you are medically well enough to undergo anesthesia)
WHO DOES DR. RAD CONSIDER TO BE THE BEST CANDIDATES FOR FACIAL COSMETIC SURGERY?
The best candidates for facial cosmetic surgery are those who are healthy and who are not looking for dramatic makeovers. Dr. Rad makes subtle improvements adding up to a rested and refreshed appearance. Small adjustments in multiple areas, rather that major overhauls in limited areas, can give the appearance of "just back from holiday" while still looking like yourself. Facial cosmetic surgery is not a "one size fits all" endeavor, and Dr. Rad spends time with his patients to customize carefully the approach to meet each patient's unique needs.
To establish whether you’re a good candidate for surgery, Dr. Rad will carefully review your medical history. Healthy patients usually don’t need extensive pre-surgical work-up. However, patients with medical problems (particularly heart, lung or kidney disease) will need “medical clearance” from their primary care physicians (PCP) and possibly from specialists. Additional medical tests and blood work may be needed. Dr. Rad and his expert staff will guide you.
Some patients ask to minimize surgery but still achieve a complete result. While Dr. Rad performs a range of small in-office procedures, limited approaches may be appropriate in only a small number of patients who have very focused concerns. Non-surgical dermatologic approaches enjoy many benefits: improved skin texture and tone, modest revolumization, little to no recovery time. These are best for younger patients looking to delay the need for surgery, or for patients who have had surgical lifts to maintain. However, once tissues have sagged, non-surgical treatments cannot make permanent and significant architectural improvements. Patients for whom non-surgical treatments have limited efficacy are those for whom surgery is appropriate.
HOW CAN I BE SURE TO GET THE BEST RESULT POSSIBLE?
In short, choose the most qualified plastic surgeon. It is a fact, proven by scientific research, that the single most important factor in achieving superior results is the surgeon performing the work. Therefore, when selecting a surgeon, you should consider the following:
- The quality of the surgeon's education (not all schools and institutions are created equal)
- The number of years of surgical experience after training (a surgeon fresh out of training has relatively little experience)
- The number of facial cosmetic procedures the surgeon has performed (surgeons improve with time and experience)
- The surgeon's teaching appointments at top-tier institutions and publications (demonstrates leadership and staying current with state-of-the-art practices)
- Whether the surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) (certified members have met high standards of patient care)
- The surgeon's ability and artistic "talent" as demonstrated by before/after photos
- Whether the surgeon is sought out to correct inexpertly performed procedures by other surgeons
Princeton and Duke educated, and Johns Hopkins trained, Dr. Rad is certified by the ABPS and he has performed thousands of facial cosmetic procedures. As Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Rad directed the Aesthetic Surgery division from 2009 to 2013 wherein he taught surgeon trainees advanced cosmetic surgical techniques. Dr. Rad has published scientific articles and he continues to instruct resident trainees at Johns Hopkins. Known for his exceptional ability and artistic vision, Dr. Rad's results are unparalleled and patients often seek him out for corrective work.
IS FACIAL COSMETIC SURGERY SAFE?
Facial cosmetic surgery is very safe and entails very low risk. Much of the risk relates to anesthesia and patients with heart, lung or kidney disease will need careful monitoring by skilled anesthesiologists. Your safety is Dr. Rad's top priority and he works only with Board certified anesthesiologists in a hospital operating facility (not certified registered nurse anesthetists in a private surgicenter) to ensure you have the lowest anesthesia-related risk. Surgical risk is very low. The more common occurrences include hematoma (bleeding under the skin), wound healing difficulty, and nerve injury. However, training, skill and experience are key to avoid complications and Dr. Rad is expert in guiding his patients through surgery safely.
CAN MULTIPLE SURGERIES BE COMBINED SO I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE SURGERY TO ACHIEVE MY GOALS?
Other surgeries can be performed simultaneously, enhancing cost-effectiveness, comprehensive results and within the same recovery time. This is highly individualized as it depends on patients' level of health, their lifestyles and professions (i.e. how much time can be taken off work), and how much surgery time Dr. Rad requires to perform each procedure to the highest quality standard possible. Only via an in-person consultation can these details be clarified.
WHAT WILL MY RECOVERY BE LIKE?
Recovery is usually as an outpatient and lasts between a few days to a few weeks, after which you can return to most activities as before. Significant pain after surgery is rare, and down time lasts a week or less. Swelling is typical but transient, and varies with the extent of surgery as well as each person's unique tissue reactions to surgery. Even for the most extensive surgeries with the most down time, returning to full social and professional activities after about 3 weeks is common.
HOW DO I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE DR. RAD?
Contact us at email@example.com or 202.517.7299. We look forward to providing your care.