Love Handle Flap
- the love handle region has plentiful fat whereas the abdominal region has a paucity of fat
- breast radiation precludes implant reconstruction
Dr. Rad In The News
- Watch Dr. Rad discuss Microsurgery and the "Love Handle" flap procedure:
Which Option is Best?
- LSGAP Flap or DIEP Flap?
- When there is adequate abdominal fat, the DIEP Flap is Dr. Rad’s preferred option due to the feasibility of simultaneous bilateral reconstruction, the improvement in abdominal contour, and the relative ease of surgery.
- In the absence of adequate abdominal fat, the LSGAP Flap is Dr. Rad’s preferred second choice.
- Every patient has a unique situation and there is no cookie-cutter approach. Dr. Rad spends time with each patient to achieve the best results with the least amount of surgery and in the safest manner possible.
- Breast reconstruction is safe and is performed under general anesthesia and a short hospitalization is standard for most reconstructive procedures.
- Dr. Rad works with board certified anesthesiologists and performs surgery at Inova Fairfax Hospital, the best rated tertiary care hospital in northern VA.
- Implant Reconstruction is the most popular option owing to its simplicity; however, implant reconstruction is not a good option in the setting of prior breast radiation.
- DIEP Flap Reconstruction is the gold standard in tissue reconstruction for patients with adequate abdominal fat.
- Dr. Rad performs Corrective Reconstruction for many women who have had botched breast reconstruction by other surgeons.