- “The face tells a lie whereas the neck tells the truth" - Nora Ephron (author, When Harry Met Sally)
- A blunted neck contour is commonly genetic (a parent had a similar appearance) and is due to a combination of 4 factors: loose skin, excess fat, a weak muscular sling, and a deficient chin and jawline.
- Addressing each of these factors surgically, and with exceptional skill, creates superior results that are lifelong.
- Neck lift surgery is the gold standard for restoring a lifted and angled neck contour, particularly with non-invasive devices have failed.
- The degree of skin looseness determines whether a "closed" (minimal incisions) or "open" (visible, but well placed, scar) approach is needed.
- In Dr. Rad’s hands, neck lift surgery reliably results in beautiful neck and jawline contours.
- In combination with Laser Scar Therapy scars can be softened and faded.
- In the Closed Neck Lift technique, Dr. Rad uses very small, hidden incisions through which a camera (‘endoscope’) and instruments may be placed to tighten the underlying muscle layer and to lift the neck and jowls. This is ideal for mildly loose neck skin.
- In Open Neck Lift surgery, Dr. Rad uses an incision around the ear to elevate and remove excess skin; this is ideal for moderately to severely loose neck skin.
- Non-invasive skin tightening devices give minimal results at best, because While the downside of surgery is the potentially visible scar, surgical neck contouring gives superior results and with a scar therapy regimen, scars can fade to near invisibility.
How It’s Done
- In both techniques, Dr. Rad makes an incision behind the ear, performs liposuction, separates the neck skin from the underlying muscle (platysma) layer, and places multiple ‘suspension’ sutures to contour the neck. The primary difference between the ‘closed’ and ‘open’ techniques is the length of scar.
- In Dr. Rad’s hands, neck lift surgery is very safe and involves about a week or social down time.
- Patients can expect results to last 10-12 years before considering a revision.
- Neck lift surgery can be combined safely with Face Lift, Facial Fat Grafting , Eyelid Contouring and Brow Lift surgery.
- Dr. Rad works with a board certified anesthesiologist and performs surgery only in an accredited surgery center or hospital operating facility.
- Medical clearance by your Primary Care Physician is required prior to surgery.
- Accompaniment by a family member or friend for 48 hours after surgery is required.
- Dr. Rad does not accept patients seeking an extreme makeover or the looks of another person
What to Expect
- Pain is rare. The most common sensation is temporary neck tightness.
- Bruising and swelling are normal and resolve over 7-10 days.
- Return to work or going to social outings 1 to 2 weeks after surgery is common.