- Lower abdominal skin that has been stretched by pregnancy or significant weight gain and loss will never tighten on its own. Abdominoplasty, known as ‘tummy tuck,’ is the definitive treatment for loose, hanging abdominal skin.
- With pregnancy, core abdominal muscles often are stretched (called ‘rectus diastasis’) and Dr. Rad often tightens these muscles concurrent with abdominoplasty.
- Abdominoplasty is ideal when the skin hangs as a result of being stretched by pregnancy or by Massive Weight Loss and there is minimal fatty tissue.
- In the presence of excess fatty tissue, Dr. Rad often combines abdominoplasty with Liposuction for a comprehensive result.
- For mothers who experience both loose abdominal skin and breast deflation after pregnancy, a Mommy Makeover is an excellent option.
- Some patients are concerned with the long scars of abdominoplasty; Liposuction can be employed instead, however significant skin looseness will not be improved.
- Results from non-invasive technologies cannot compare to the results that can be attained with surgical contouring. While a long scar is a reality of surgery, Laser Scar Therapy works very well to soften and fade scars.
How It’s Done
- Dr. Rad makes a gently curving incision in the lower abdominal skin, the skin and fatty layers are elevated, and the excess is removed. The belly button is brought through the abdominal skin and sutured in place.
- In Dr. Rad’s hands, lipoabdominoplasty is very safe.
- Dr. Rad works with a board certified anesthesiologist and performs surgery in a hospital operating facility.
What to Expect
- This is an outpatient surgery taking approximately 1-3 hours to perform.
- Temporary moderate discomfort is common and is easily controlled with pain medications.